Several tasks are involved in the shipment of goods. Some companies have their own in-house team to handle their shipping requirements but there are also those who rely on freight forwarding companies to get important tasks done while they focus on other core activities. Having an in-house team may seem a sound idea but this may only be suited for companies that have the resources to invest in the latest logistics infrastructure, technology, and manpower. On the other hand, third-party providers can provide freight forwarding services and offer more business benefits.
If you are exploring options on how to handle your shipping needs, this article discusses freight forwarding services and the benefits that come with them.
Freight Forwarding: An Overview
Freight forwarding refers to the coordination and shipment of goods from one point to another. It may be done with the help of single or multiple carriers and may be carried out via air, sea, or land transport. Basically, a freight forwarding company links the shipper and transportation services. It liaises with different carriers to negotiate fees and identify the most cost-efficient, reliable, and fastest route.
While the description of freight forwarding may seem straightforward, you’ll learn more about the process through the most common questions related to it,
Common Freight Forwarding Questions Answered
How do freight forwarding and shipping line service differ?
A freight forwarder is responsible for the transport between ports as well as getting to the ports to allow goods to reach their final destination. A shipping line service on the other hand is limited from port to port through sea travel.
What are the main types of freight forwarding transport?
Four major types of freight transportation are available for the shipment of goods. These include land freight which uses trucks for transport; sea freight for goods that need to be transported across oceans; and air freight for loads that require aircraft to reach their destination.
What are the most important functions of a freight forwarding company?
- Offer expertise in the transport of goods to take the load off the shoulders of individual businesses.
- Process and organize documents, as well as fees and insurance to help businesses use their time and effort well.
- Provide specialist knowledge regarding freight forwarding rules and regulations.
What are the key roles of a freight forwarding company?
- Recommend the best possible options for a specific shipment based on the nature of the goods, time, transit cost, and safety.
- Offer expert advice to the exporter regarding logistic-related expenses that may be incurred during the process.
- Arrange cargo space booking whether transport will be done via sea freight, air freight, or land freight.
- Ensure that goods are insured.
- Perform follow-ups when accidents occur.
- Supervise the transport of goods, including their packing and loading into the carrier.
How Freight Forwarding Services Benefit Businesses
- Streamline your processes.
As product shipment involves various processes, a freight forwarding company can offer the knowledge and expertise needed to fulfill responsibilities and successfully complete transactions.
- Improve your business reputation.
One of the responsibilities of a freight forwarding company is to ensure that goods are delivered on time. This helps meet customer expectations, create a positive brand image, and prevent negative feedback.
- Connect with well-established networks.
A freight forwarding company has contacts in various sectors that can contribute to a speedy and hassle-free process. They usually have a well-established network consisting of agents, carriers, and customs officers that contribute to quick freight transport.
- Ensure cost-efficiency.
Freight forwarding companies can support your needs without the need to invest in a warehouse or shoulder storage fees. This will help you get maximized profit and focus on other expenses that can aid in business growth.
- Manage logistics requirements professionally.
A freight forwarding company takes care of the entire process including from the paperwork to delivery and collection. You can find a reliable and professional partner that can ensure a hassle-free way to process your requirements.
ALSO READ: LAST MILE DELIVERY LOGISTICS TRENDS THAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
Freight forwarding services come with benefits that businesses should take advantage of. While it mainly covers the shipping and logistics needs of a business, it also helps build competitive advantage and customer satisfaction.
If you are looking for a freight forwarding services provider, Worklink Services, Inc. can help. Get in touch to know how we can help you.