Manufacturers need to be aware of the risks that they may encounter. One way to do that is by knowing how to prevent cargo theft. This problem may occur in the manufacturing industry, particularly those that produce consumer electronics, apparel, food, and other goods that may be targeted by thieves.
What is Cargo Theft?
Cargo theft refers to the act of stealing trailers or trucks filled with merchandise. These goods are then sold for a quick profit. Cargo theft comes in different types some of which are listed below.
Types of Cargo Theft
This occurs when the employees of a company who are knowledgeable about a shipment leak detailed information about a specific trailer or container to thieves.
Direct Cargo Theft
This type of cargo theft refers to situations when physical cargo is stolen from its location. Usually, these cargos are left unattended such as in parking lots or truck stops.
A cargo theft of this type happens when unauthorized individual’s break into a facility or a truck yard in search or products that can be stolenl.
This happens when thieves present themselves as part of the company or the legitimate drivers of containers in order to access container terminals and other relevant facilities. They also use counterfeit papers to access shipments and take off with them.
Manufacturers face the risk of losing their shipments to thieves. The good news is, there are steps that they can take to help prevent cargo thefts:
How to Prevent Cargo Theft
- Practice caution at all times. Keep in mind that the goods you’ll ship have great value. You have to ensure that safety and security measures are implemented throughout the shipping process to ensure that goods will remain intact and be delivered safely.
- Be careful during the hiring process. Make sure to perform thorough screening when choosing employees. Inside job happens when sensitive information is released or when important processes are exposed to thieves.
- Promote a culture of security within your company. It is important for your employees to make security a part of their everyday work. Invest in security training for your workers. It is also advisable to ensure that drivers are educated on how to prevent cargo theft amd will know what to do in case it happens.
- Know the hot spots. If there are places within the route of a shipment that may put your cargo at risk, it would be best to avoid them. Drivers should also be informed about hot spots and must know the places where they should not stop.
- Incorporate advanced technology into your processes. Take advantage of available security technology. Improve vehicle and shipment tracking to tighten your security. Vehicle immobilization and security seals are some of your options. They may require some investment but they can keep you free from worries brought by problems like cargo theft.
- Choose the best logistics company. Finding a partner in the shipment of your products should be done carefully. A trusted courier company in the Philippines will ensure that your goods will be cared for and kept secure while in their custody until they reach their desired destination. Oftentimes, reputable courier companies already have the technology and manpower to further enhance the security of your shipment.
ALSO READ: 7 INTERESTING LOGISTICS INDUSTRY OUTLOOK FOR 2022
Losing a shipment could cause huge problems including financial disruptions and customer dissatisfaction. Cargo theft is a serious matter that should not be taken lightly. Whatever type of goods you manufacture, you have to make sure that they are kept safe and secure from production up to the time they reach their destination. Fortunately, you can prevent cargo theft, especially with the help of a dependable courier company that can work as your partner in delivering your products safely.
When choosing a courier company to work with, look no further than Worklink Services, Inc. We are a trusted name in the industry that has been delivering quality logistics services for many years. Send us an inquiry today so we can help you.